Thursday, February 7, 2008

13 Writers Speak Out on Love




Hi. We’re supposed to be blogging about the Perils and Pitfalls for Writers, but it’s February and my mind is elsewhere. My kids and I just returned from the store with bags stuffed with Valentines and chocolates. I’m sitting in the pink glow of the neon heart I’ve stuck to my living-room window, thinking about love.
I hate to admit it, but I’m distracted. It’s OK, though, because both distractions and love can be pitfalls for writers. Before I take on some serious writing, I feel like searching the Internet for the contemplations of other creative minds on love.
Here goes:






13 Writers Speak Out on Love


1.) “When you love someone, all your saved-up wishes start coming out.” ~Elizabeth Bowen
2.) “A baby is born with a need to be loved -- and never outgrows it.” ~Frank A. Clark

3. “Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction.” ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Wind, Sand and Stars, 1939, translated from French by Lewis Galantière
4. “Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ~Robert Heinlein
5. “Life is the flower for which love is the honey.” ~Victor Hugo
6. “Love is only a dirty trick played on us to achieve continuation of the species.” ~W. Somerset Maugham, A Writer's Notebook, 1949
7. “Love is much like a wild rose, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense.” ~Mark Overby
8. “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices in the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” ~I Corinthians 13:4-8, Paul of New Testament fame
9. “True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked.” ~Erich Segal

10. “Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” ~ William Shakespeare, Mid-Summer Night's Dream
11. “Love is the strange bewilderment which overtakes one person on account of another person.” ~James Thurber and E.B. White

12. “Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit.” ~Peter Ustinov
13. “Who, being loved, is poor?” ~Oscar Wilde


As you well realize, although love can be a distraction, it can also be a great topic for writing. There is much you can say about love and being in love. My search has just scratched the surface. Do you have a favorite quote or a bit of advice? Please share.



The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone
who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow
Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your
Thirteen in others comments. It's easy and fun! Trackbacks, pings,
comment links accepted!









16 comments:

  1. My favorite is definitely anything Wilde!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one

    12. “Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit.” ~Peter Ustinov

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list, thanks for sharing. I liked them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh love.... And what a great list! You really have a knack for putting things together. Thanks for the inspiration today!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! Thank for posting it.
    ~Harris.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful -- I have a thing for quotes. :) Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always believed in the Robert Heinlein quote. It kills me when people who say they love someone don't care whether or not that person is happy...they only care whether or not THEY are happy. I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great list. #2 is my favorite. But they are all wonderful. Thank you for sharing this. And thank you for stopping by.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great quotes! Happy TT and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quotes! Thanks for visiting my TT; sorry I'm this late in returning the favour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Babe,
    Falling in (or indeed out) of Love is definitely a pitfall or peril of the writers world! How many brilliant writers were first distracted by love, then removed from the writing scene by a hampering husband!

    ChinaMeli

    ReplyDelete

 
ja