Thursday, February 14, 2008

13 Experts Weigh in on Love




13 Experts Weigh in on Love:

Are their words profound truths, poetic hogwash or somewhere in between? You decide.

Love: What is it? Goethe says, "Love is an ideal thing, marriage a real thing." Oliver Wendell Holmes declares, "Love is the master key that opens the gates of happiness. " Two unknown writers look at it this way: “"Love is friendship set on fire," and, "Love is like war: Easy to begin but hard to end."

Merriam-Webster’s Online Dictionary defines love as: “1 a (1): strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties (2): attraction based on sexual desire: affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3): affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests b: an assurance of love 2: warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion 3 a: the object of attachment, devotion, or admiration b (1): a beloved person : darling —often used as a term of endearment (2) British —used as an informal term of address for a: unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as (1): the fatherly concern of God for humankind (2): brotherly concern for others b: a person's adoration of God . . .”

(Note: I’m only listing the top definitions. For more information, check out M-W’s Website.)

Last week I presented 13 quotes about love. That prompted me to embark in a research project. I found that there are hundreds, maybe even millions of comments about love on the Internet. Some are profound. Some are silly and some made me laugh. Others I read and thought, “That makes sense,” and nodded my head.

13 Experts Weigh in on Love


I’m presenting these 13 for you to ponder:

1. “The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.” ~Mother Teresa

2. “Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.” ~Albert Einstein

3. “The art of love ... is largely the art of persistence.” ~Albert Ellis

4. “Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that.” ~Michael Leunig

5. “Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence.” ~Eric Fromm

6. “Love has no desire but to fulfill itself. To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving.” ~Kahlil Gibran

7. “Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life.” ~Leo Buscaglia

8. “If you have love in your life, it can make up for a great many things you lack. If you don't have it, no matter what else there is, it's not enough.” ~Ann Landers

9. “Why love if losing hurts so much? We love to know that we are not alone.” ~ C. S. Lewis

10. “When love is not madness, it is not love.” ~Pedro Calderon de la Barca

11. “There is no surprise more magical than the surprise of being loved. It is God's finger on man's shoulder.” ~Charles Morgan

12. “Love must be as much a light, as it is a flame.” ~Henry David Thoreau13. “We can only learn to love by loving.” ~ Iris Murdock

Do any of these statements hit home? Which ones seem true to you? Which ones ring false? Write back and tell me what you think.

Brenda

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It's easy and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



26 comments:

  1. And let's not forget what Jesus of the Bible said-- Greater Love hath no man than this, that He lay down His life for His friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This list is perfect for today. And I really enjoyed Ann Landers take on love.

    Happy Valentine's Day.

    ~Harris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #10 is so true. I have quotes on mine today too.

    Happy TT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't it Howard Jones who said "What is loooooooooove anyway?" You gotta listen to the masters. Thanks for visiting my 67th edition 13 Romantic Tips (from a single man's perspective)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "the surprise of being loved"...I like that. And it goes both for romantic love and platonic love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. C.S. Lewis is my favorite, thanks for posting.
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great, thought-provoking list! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. “There is no surprise more magical than the surprise of being loved. It is God's finger on man's shoulder.” ~Charles Morgan

    This one really does it for me. But they were all wonderful. Great T13!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great selection of quotes also! Happy Hearts Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I disagree with Einstein. I know, stupid thing to do, but there it is. Whenever my dh gets to close I can't help but glom on. I tell him it's gravity's fault.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How symmetrical--the thirteenth comment on a Thursday Thirteen. I should have done this on Monk's blog!

    I like your overview of quotes that takes in the glories of both romantic and fraternal love. Love worketh no ill to its neighbor....

    btw--thanks for visiting my Thirteen that had nothing to do with love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great quotes, I added most of them to my quotes book.
    Thanks for visiting my poem TT.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like #3, and I think it is unique. Persistence. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great list! I did love quotes too. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. #9. CS Lewis. What a scorchingly honest quote! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for visiting my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mother Teresa always gets it right!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Brenda, nice quotes. Thanks for stopping by...from the other Brenda! Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like this one

    “If you have love in your life, it can make up for a great many things you lack. If you don't have it, no matter what else there is, it's not enough.” ~Ann Landers

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brenda-You are so wonderful at this, the Diner is so lucky to have you! I knew I hired the write person. LOL

    debralee

    ReplyDelete

 
ja