Sunday, January 20, 2008

You're My Inspiration ...

I can't tell you when I first realized I wanted to be a writer. As a child, I read everything I could get my hands on - the encyclopedia, the dictionary, National Geographic, and any book I could reach on the library shelves (okay, so I'm short). It wasn't until I began to say "I could write this better" that I actually picked up a pencil and started to write.

There was a serial story about aliens in the grade school newspaper, then the ads for the plays and playbills for our high school events, along with essays that made my teacher scratch her head. But somewhere along the way from high school, I lost the pleasure and need to write and it lay dormant for several years, while I went to college, got married and had children.

I started reading again when I had my first child. Moving forward, I took an interest in writing articles for local papers and national magazines. Finally, I got to the point where I thought I could write a book. So I did. And it sucked. Turns out not just anybody can write a book - at least in my opinion.

For me, my mother became my inspiration. She encouraged me to keep trying, so I did, and eventually, I finished another and another... and I got better and better at it. She told me often how proud she was of me, and it kept me going.

There are so many people who inspire us to be who we are and do what we do - writing is often a lonely occupation, and we need all the inspiration we can get.

This week, Martin Luther King Jr. is honored to remind us of the many people he inspired. He inspired poets and authors and so many other people. I know how grateful those people are to him. Always tell the person/people who inspire you how much you appreciate them whenever you have the opportunity- because they truly will not be around forever.

Jeannie

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it great to have an encouraging family? I sure appreciate mine and their quiet belief in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice thought, reminds me of my own mom.
    debralee

    ReplyDelete

 
ja