Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Tolerating Romance?

First, let me begin by giving some big sloppy kisses to the girls at the diner who have welcomed me back to the ranks! Feels good to be back and posting again!

According to Webster’s Tolerance is the endurance of opinions differing from one’s own.

In the world of romance, whether it’s a printed novel, an e-book, a movie or even a country song – romance is often touted as being tolerated by the masses. Why?

Why is it the acceptable norm to seek out violence and not something as natural as loving relationships that make people feel good?

Well, I’m here to tell you that it’s not okay. There is nothing wrong with connecting with a character in that book or on the screen (and yes, in that song that you cry with when your alone in your car!) There is nothing wrong with wanting the romance, wanting the “happy ending” as Maggie said yesterday. There is nothing wrong with LOVE!

I’m the mother of two teenage boys who wouldn’t be caught dead in the local theater watching a romance movie. They tolerate the countless romance books covering my tables and lining my bookshelves, because I’m their Mother and hence the Queen has more rights than the peons. But I too, feel that I tolerate the violence they call entertainment.

Why do we as a society think it’s okay to witness this “entertainment” violence in our books, songs, and on the T.V.? Why is it more acceptable to watch someone get shot than it is to show a love-scene? In reality which one is more offensive to our children?

Now don’t send me hate mail, I’m not condoning letting kids watch explicit sex acts! But there is nothing wrong with showing kids that love, relationships and dealing with the issues of life is more important than bloods, guts and gore.

So, today I say “go forth and choose love!” Give an extra hug to the ones you love, proudly walk the aisles of your local bookstore romance section, and sing along to your favorite country love song. Together we can move from a mere tolerance of romance (in every shape and form) to embracing romance.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Debora,
    Welcome Back!
    I've teenage sons who tolerate my romance habit too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYAY! Debora!

    THRILLED to you have back hon!

    ;)

    talia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Deboara. I've always wondered why explicit violence and hatred are okay but even semi-explicit love and sex are just awful and terrible. Hm, which would have a more lasting effect on a kid's mind -- a scene with a scary mass murder sawing people in half or a scene with a loving couple engaging in some loving? Gee, I don't know.

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You tell them DD, that's what i call making an entrance!
    debralee

    ReplyDelete

 
ja