Friday, January 18, 2008

Stranger in the Blog

This year, I resolve to embrace the strange and odd. After all, that's what my books are all about.

It will come as no surprise to those who know me that I love all things weird and strange. It all began when I was a kid and my mom and grandmother tried to keep me from watching movies that "will give you nightmares." Of course, that only made me want to watch them more. I remember pretending to be asleep on the couch while my mom watched a Vincent Price movie on TV. Of course, I was watching too. So, did I learn to love odd things because I was told they were bad, therefore triggering the kid thing of wanting to do it since it was forbidden, or did I simply follow in the footsteps of my mom and grandmother—who were, after all, watching the very things they told me I couldn’t? Whatever the cause, by the time I was in high school I was reading every book I could get my hands on about UFO’s, psychic phenomena, ghosts, etc.

In a strange (or maybe not so strange) twist of fate, I also fell in love with science. Nothing makes me happier than discovering how something works, or reading an explanation of a natural phenomena. So along with the "odd" books, I also read books about black holes, dinosaurs, human remains from the very beginning of humanity, etc.

You might think it unusual that a person that loves the odd also loves the straightforward. Who believes ghosts might very well walk the night also understands why ice floats. Mutually exclusive? I don’t think so.

Personally, I believe there are things scientists haven’t discovered yet. And I think there always will be. After all, it wasn’t so long ago that scientists stopped scoffing at the idea that rocks could fall from the sky. Today, meteorites are accepted as a fact of life. Tomorrow, maybe ghosts will be the idea that took hold. In fact, within my lifetime I’ve seen psychic powers go from a ridiculous idea to something that is being studied seriously in some places. It’ll be a while before ESP theory will become a class at Harvard, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened eventually.

I like that idea.

4 comments:

  1. So how have you combined science and the paranormal in your work? Inquiring minds want to hear the weird stuff!

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. Why can't science and fantasy mix?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you plan to embrace the unusual, we'll get along really well!
    debralee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I think science and fantasy mix very well, and the answer to your questions would make a great post. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja