Friday, January 4, 2008

Something Wonderful

Here at the diner, you may have noticed that we employees don't tend to knock visitors about the head with self-promo. We figure you'd rather chat about writing itself (and eat pie) than hear us go on endlessly about ourselves. However, the occasional exception gets made when one of us reaches a big milestone, like Kathleen selling not long ago. Well, I hit my own big milestone just two days ago. I got my very first cover! And since I love it so much, and it means so much to me, I wanted to share.
Maybe it's just a picture. But to me it represents dreams I've had my entire life finally coming to fruition. With the exception of beoming a mother, which is really in a league of its own, making the decision to get serious and try to become a published author is the scariest thing I've ever done. I poured blood, sweat, tears, and hours upon hours of work into CALL OF THE HIGHLAND MOON. I'd had my "learning manuscript," been through the rejection process, had my little heart crushed, and (I admit) wallowed a little before picking myself up and trying again. I was determined that this time, this book would be "the one."
It was. And that started a whirlwind of activity that hasn't stopped since. I've been through edits, copyedits, and the writing of a second contracted book. I've come so far from the writer I was just starting out three years ago that it feels more like ten. But the idea that my book would really be out in the world, on shelves, catching people's eye so they'd buy it and actually READ it, didn't start to hit home until I saw this. My baby, all dressed up and ready to go to the ball.
It's a dream come true, one of the best ways I can think of to start a new year. I hope 2008 holds great things for us all. Thanks for letting me share!
-Kendra

6 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous cover, Kendra! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So? (Talia using her best Arnold Horshack voice) Give us the blurb. What's the book about?

    ;)

    And CONGRATULATIONS!!!

    Talia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome cover! I second the request for some blurby and excerpt action...

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Beautiful cover. We're all happy dancing around the diner for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kendra,
    Thanks for sharing your success with us. I want the blurb, the excerpt and where we can find your book. It rocks to see one of our own publish. See you all in the kitchen for a group hug. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thanks, everyone! As requested, then, the blurb action...

    No one knows better than Gideon MacInnes how dangerous it can be to fall in love. As the future leader of a pack of Highland werewolves who guard an ancient and powerful secret, Gideon can't afford to bond with the wrong woman. The bite of the werewolf is too often fatal...and never lightly given.But on his last night in America, an unforseen attack leaves him in the care of exactly the sort of woman he can never have. And the only one he will ever want.

    Carly Silver might sell stories for a living, but she never expected one to show up on her doorstep. While the night shows her only a beast pleading for her help, the morning light reveals a man straight out of her darkest dreams. Straight out of legend and surrounded by danger, Gideon is the last man Carly should be letting into her life...even if he's almost impossible to resist. But trapped by an early Northern New York snowstorm, she hasn't got anywhere to run.

    As the Stone of Destiny begins to work its magic beneath the Highland moon, reluctant attraction quickly deepens into something infinitely more irresistible. But with an ancient enemy reaching across worlds in a quest for the ultimate prize, their new love isn't the only thing at risk of being destroyed. As Gideon makes his stand for a power his people never knew they possessed, Carly must face her own deadly decision. If love is to survive, both must find the courage to embrace the beast within. Because the moon is calling, and there are things beyond imagining waiting in the darkness for them both.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja