Tuesday, January 15, 2008

How Wonderful That I Don't Know it All

While I sat in my family room a mere 40 miles from where the ball drops on New Years Eve, I had a firm idea of what my resolution would be. The same resolution I (and millions of others) make every year. To lose weight.

A year goes by. Once again I'm sitting in my family room (we never go out:), waiting for the ball to drop and making the same resolution I did last year. It's no wonder no one takes anyone's resolutions seriously.

This year is different. This year, I didn't procrastinate. On January 2nd, I started a program. I know I can do it because this time I realized I can't do it on my own I need help. In previous years, I insisted I didn't need to learn how to diet. I knew it all.

It's the same with my writing. I thought I knew it all. I thought, just because I've read romances since I was 14, I could write one and not learn how to do it properly.

Ten years later, and not a word published, I'm starting to rethink that theory. I finally decided, gee maybe I need some help. A few months ago, I found myself some critique partners and guess what? They didn't look at me in awe saying, "This is a masterpiece! There is nothing I can add to this that would make it any better." In fact, they had some suggestions. Many suggestions.

So this year, my resolution is to learn how to write, stop thinking I know it all and actually listen to someone who knows what they're talking about. I'm going to take some on-line workshops on how to edit, build characters and add finesse to my writing. I'll read books, blogs and for once, I won't skip over those articles on how to write the saggy middle or how to make your characters come alive.

In the mean time, as I learn, I'll meet some wonderful ladies who want nothing more than to see me succeed.

And this time next year, as I'm in my family room, waiting for the ball to drop, you can be darn sure I'll be thinner, smarter and have some damn good stories finally ready to sell.

~Maggie

3 comments:

  1. You go girl! It never hurts to take classes to improve your craft. Sometimes you only come away with one or two things you didn't know before and other times you have a lightbulb moment that can change your writing forever. I know because it's happened to me. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I know that I know nothing" is an important realization :). I've heard a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, so maybe zero knowledge is safer? *heh*

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. You're right. We can all learn new things. This January I took my first sewing class since seventh grade. I came to realize why I don't sew today, but I learned something and gave my synapses a work out.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja