Thursday, December 20, 2007

Captivating Carols








Thirteen Captivating Carols


It’s the holiday season and I bet you’re as busy as I am, shopping, wrapping, cleaning and baking. Even when I’m the busiest, one thing I still have time to enjoy is Christmas music. I’m into Christmas carols because I hear them only in the month of December -- and they’re special. Some I value for the words, for hope and joy expressed. Some I like for the buoyant music. Others evoke fond memories.

Here are my 13 favorites …in alphabetical order because I can’t decide which I like most:

1. Angels We Have Heard On High. I love belting out the Gloria, In Excelsis Deo chorus.

2. Away in the Manger. I remember gazing at the snow-covered manger display on our front lawn as I reviewed the words of Away in the Manger. Living in Wisconsin, I wondered for the longest time why no one in the Holy family wore winter coats. Somehow I figured the song contained the answer.
3. Christmas Shoes. This one tugs at my heart.
4. Deck the Halls. I think of parties, eggnog and mistletoe.
5. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. As a Christian, I like the reassuring words.

6. Hark the Herald Angels Sing. I just love singing this one.
7. It Came Upon the Midnight Clear. The words soothe. “Peace on the Earth. From Heaven’s all gracious King.”
8. Jingle Bells. I like the bells and thinking of the holiday sleigh rides my father-in-law organizes.
9. Joy to the World. It’s hard to be melancholy when singing this song.
10. O Come All Ye Faithful. One year my Sunday School class performed this one so I know all the words.
11. O Holy Night. This was my great-grandmother’s favorite. I think of her and smile when I hear it.
12. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. What can I say? I’m a reindeer fan.

13. Silent Night. To my mind, this is one of the most beautiful hymns.
14. White Christmas. I like the mellow voice of Bing Crosby.
Yes, I know I cheated, slipping in an extra carol. There are just too many good ones. Which do you like? Do you have a favorite? Why? Please share.


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!








22 comments:

  1. I love Rudolph, too! #2's been running around the house, singing it lately. It makes me smile.

    But my all-time favorite Christmas song is The Little Drummer Boy. I'm not sure why. Or maybe I just don't want to admit it.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't there some great tunes in this list...

    Have a great TT and a very Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. White Christmas is one of my favorites, I always think of the movie when i hear it. The Christmas shoes always tears me up. I just love all the hymns of Christmas too. Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay, I simply a song called "Under the Mistletoe" and I don't mean the Clint Black version. This version goes back Victorian times and talks about people getting a bit randy since they have an excuse. Gotta love those Vics.

    And I love the Holly and the Ivy.

    Talia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reindeer too - especially Rudolf!

    Happy TT!

    My TT: 13 ways my life sucks is up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Christmas Tide. It's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My all-time favorite song is "The Gift" where Maria takes care of the little bird with the broken wing and it turns into the nightingale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey no worries about the extra carol ... it's Christmas. All great classics. Me love the Bing :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the dark carols like We Three Kings and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, all minor chords and somber shivers. But then, I love the darker composers too. Always gives me a little thrill to hear when Mozart abandons the fluffy parlor music in favor of angst :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Gingle Bells, because it's quite new to me and so much fun. Silent night etc. I have known since my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our posts are along the same line - yay for favorite Christmas carols! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Brenda!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. No, I'm not getting married, although it feels like it. My son is tying the knot.

    Happy Holidays!
    Donica Covey

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did a list like this last week. We listed some of the same songs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Growing up named Robin, I lived in fear of Jingle Bells (jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg...). December was the bain of my childhood LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kid,
    Nice to see you. Two biddies on a raft – ship wreck ‘em please, oh, and a coffee. I’ve been Christmas shopping for the little nippers and I’m half frozen. Whoever decided Jesus should celebrate his birthday in December should be flayed alive and tossed to the dogs. What’s wrong with celebrating it in July? What fun is running madly about in the snow and then rushing to sit in a drafty old church blowing on your frozen fingers listening to coughs and cold-weakened throats croak out ancient carols about lambs being born, when you’d much rather be at home in front of your “blazing” turkey-filled stove? As far as “I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing In,” it would certainly make more sense to sing “I Saw Three Ships Frozen In The Ice.”

    Well, I gotta tell you, I was eaves dropping while I was waiting for a table. I usually take a seat at the counter, but not with this load of packages today! Anyway, I heard you comparing notes about which song was your personal holiday favorite. I thought back to my school days, and all the irreverent words we kids sang to the carols at our Christmas concerts when the teacher couldn’t throw erasers at us, in front of the parents. Like:

    “Bark now Herald, the angels bring, prezzies to the new sworn king!”

    “After while we’ll perspire as we sit by the fire…”

    "Joy to the world, the food has come…”

    And that all time favorite “How they smell you! How they smell you! How, now they smell you!” to the tune of the Hallelujah chorus.

    Like I said – irreverent. I don’t know why we thought we were so smart, when my Granddad taught me the words, and he sang them when he was a kid. Moshek probably sang them when he was hauling water for the masons building the pyramids.

    Now a days I’m a bit more in awe of the actual miracle of Christ and his gift to the world. This makes me a bit of a downer when it comes to Santa Claus, and all the trimmings. I’d give each child 3 gifts if it were up to me, one for each on the parts of God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) for the older ones, and one from each of the 3 kings for the younger set. But, I’m over ruled at my house. So, guess which shlamazel gets to schlep all this around each Christmas!

    Anyway, my favorites are: “Mary Did You Know?” sung by Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd, and when David Bowie and Bing Crosby sing “Little Drummer Boy” together. It’s such a trip to hear them together knowing that their generations never thought they’d ever work together, much less worship together.

    Two sugars please, I need to keep my strength up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love every one of those except #3...don't think I've ever heard of that one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Would love to know who sings Christmas Shoes. Don't think I'm familiar with that one.

    Great list. Happy Holidays!!!!

    ~Harris.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great list! I love "Ave Maria" in the Latin, too, since I sang it a capella for the Advent shows that our senior passion play troupe did in high school (hey, I went to a Catholic high school...it was the thing to be in when you were a senior, and was actually pretty cool, plus I was the fabulous soloist). Josh Groban's version gives me the shivers. "O Little Town of Bethlehem" is a favorite, I love to wander around singing "Good King Wenceslas" because, um, I dunno, I guess I'm proud I know all the words. And I LOVE Eartha Kitt's "Santa Baby." I got to do that with the squadron band a couple of years ago at the annual Christmas party, and vamping it up with that song was the most fun I'd had in a loooong time. Channeling Catwoman:-) We always decorate the tree to Bing's White Christmas album, ever since I was little. It's a great album, great tradition. Love the list, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a day late--too much cleaning going on LOL.

    I like Adeste Fideles, Feliz Navidad, and O Holy Night (sung in four part harmony).

    Thanks for visiting my TT. Wow--more paranormal romance people!

    ReplyDelete

 
ja