Friday, November 16, 2007

A Special Thanks

The topic of heroes has a special meaning to me right now. The Friday before Halloween, my stepfather was in a horrible accident. A wrecker towing two cars blew through a red light, plowed into my stepdad, and continued on into a parking lot where the wrecker and – now loose – cars did more damage. Several people were injured, and one ten year old girl was pulled into a vehicle seconds before the wrecker smashed into it. She would have been crushed.

My stepdad’s car rolled and ended up on the other side of the road, and was in flames by the time it came to rest. If not for the heroism of two passing motorists, he would have died there. These two men risked their lives to pull my stepfather from the twisted metal, and it wasn’t easy. It took time and effort to cut the seatbelt and pull him out from the passenger side of the car.

My stepfather is still in intensive care, in critical condition. If were it not for these heroes, he wouldn’t be alive today. There are no words strong enough to thank those two brave men. They have no idea how much their heroism that day means to our family, and I hope their lives are filled with joy and happiness. They certainly deserve it.

4 comments:

  1. What a blessing those two men are! They are true heroes for sure. Everyday men who, because they're decent human beings, couldn't sit back and watch someone in trouble and not do something about it.

    It's people like that who remind me there's still hope for this world.

    I'll be praying for your father-in-law.

    ~Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's so good to know there are heroes like that walking among us. Or maybe they were angels . . . guardian angels for your stepfather that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cher,

    Youe family has my prayers for a speedy recovery for FIL. And those motorists who stopped to help are the definition of "hero."

    I believe most people are good and want to help others in need despite what you may see on the nightly news.

    talia

    ReplyDelete
  4. It goes to show one thing I try to always keep in my head when things seem to be going the wrong way. Most people are essentially good, and will make sacrifices to help a perfect stranger in trouble.
    Thanks for sharing
    debralee

    ReplyDelete

 
ja