Thursday, October 18, 2007

In an Overflowing Used Bookstore...I Found My Voice

I am a voracious reader. Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you I might have a tiny little obsession…ok, maybe not so tiny. ;-)

I Love To Read!

There was this used book store next to where I used to work. Talk about a dream place for someone like me. All those books!

I went at least every other day--mostly every day--and buy a book, read it overnight and be back to trade it in for a discount on another one…or two…or three…

Hey! I Love To Read!

Anyway, the owner used to watch me peruse the shelves and we’d chit chat about books and such. Until one day, he asked me how many books I’d read. To this, I actually had an number. At the time it was about 500. He chuckled and asked why I didn’t write one myself…

Write my own novel?!

I laughed and told him I didn’t know the first thing about writing a…a book!

To which he replied, “Sandy, you’re practically and expert.”

I rolled my eyes and he ignored me in favor of continuing. “Would you say you have a good imagination?” he asked.

“Um…yeah?” (When you finish reading this go here to see just how I got such a vivid imagination.)

He smiled. “And do you know what you like about each book you read? What you don’t like?”

“Um…yeah?”

“So why don’t you write one with all the things you like and none of the things you don’t?”

“Um…Yeah!”

That night, I wrote a scene…It grew into five pages and drew me in. That night, a writer found her voice.

I had a lot to learn and still do. And one day, I might even finish that story. But, it was the beginning of a new obsession.

I LOVE TO WRITE!

~ Sandra Barkevich

7 comments:

  1. I love to write too! And I have a similar story. I, too, will finish my novel (one of 3 WIPs) too. Just don't know when.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sniz ~ Let me be the first to tell you finishing your first full length ms is one of the most amazing feelings in the universe.

    I worked on my first attempt for almost 10 years and got 80 pages and a fully plotted series. I thought I was doing great with that 80 pages...I just kept conveniently forgetting that it was supposed to be a 400 page manuscript! LOL.

    However, a few years ago, I joined RWA (Romance Writers of America) and took my first workshop. They suggested writing your synopsis first and then move on to the story.

    A couple of days later, I got this idea for another story and within three days I'd written almost 60 pages! Then, I took a step back and attempted to write a synopsis.

    It was not easy, but I did map out my beginning, middle, and end and made sure I accounted for my major conflicts, external and internal and 10 MONTHS later I finished my first full length ms, which didn't resemble my synopsis in any way but the character names. LOL.

    It's being reviewed by a publisher now, after they asked for a few revisions. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    I guess what I'm trying to say here, is never stop writing. Your novel will get done and you too will dance like a loon around your computer. ;-)

    Sandy :-)
    Sandra Barkevich - Romance Author
    *October 2007 at Sandra's Goings On – CONTEST! Check out the fabulous Prizes donated by some truly amazing authors!

    And, October 27, 2007 Guest Blogger Gemma Halliday ~ Undercover in High Heels

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be a reader to be a writer, so I am not surprised you picked up your pen.

    I've been chiseling away at the requested rewrites of my current WIP which is part of the process.

    Great story! And do let us know the outcome with publisher.

    ;)

    talia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Talia. Congrats on your Rewrite Request...the OTHER "R"! LOL

    And trust me, when I get the call, EVERYONE will know! After I get the power of speech back, that is. ;-)

    Sandy :-)
    Sandra Barkevich - Romance Author
    *October 2007 at Sandra's Goings On – CONTEST! Check out the fabulous Prizes donated by some truly amazing authors!

    And, October 27, 2007 Guest Blogger Gemma Halliday ~ Undercover in High Heels

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only problem with writing is it leaves less time for reading!

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a kid I always felt like part of a big book that God wrote, but I hated some of the chapters. I used to watch Carol Burnett, who would do a skit on a writer working out scenes and the characters having to act out each change a writer made along the way. It was funny. Now I get to play the master designer in my own world, and it's magic, and it's imagination, and often still funny.
    debralee

    ReplyDelete

 
ja