Saturday, August 4, 2007

What's blogging done for me lately?


As we get the blog up and running, the topic for the week is "Why I blog." You know, I'm not sure. No, really. I have a heck of a time keeping my personal blog up to date, so why agree to participate in another blog? Am I a masochist? An idiot? Is it helium-arm run amuck? What's this thing called blogging for, anyway, and why did I decide to do it?

As Kendra said yesterday, it's a way to connect. Connecting isn't just why I blog, it's why I write. I write so I can share my story with other people and maybe make them feel something. Anything. Laughter, tears, desire, horror. Whatever it is, this gift called writing allows me to get my reader, and myself, to tap into the inner core of who we are. I am blessed to touch the heart and soul of others and I love it.

When I was a kid, I connected to my parents through what we read then discussed during meals. One of my fondest memories is reading Watership Down with my mom when I was around 12. We read it out loud to one another and it brought us closer. We shared horror at the wholesale murder of a warren of rabbits and we rooted for our favorite characters. Now, I'm not saying mom and I wouldn't have connected without Watership Down, but it sure made things easier.

Books made connections happen with friends as I got older, but not just books. Computers helped, too. Fan fiction connected me to friends all across the country just as the Internet was getting exciting, and when it still cost so much per minute to connect! Those were the days! Those were the bills! In chat rooms and via e-mail I met people I never would have had the chance to meet even 20 years earlier. It's all about connections. Connection speed and personal connection.

So now, we have listservs where we meet people from across the country and around the world, which is how I met the lovely ladies with whom I am honored to share this blogging space. We met via an RWA listserv and found we had similar interests. We liked to write paranormal stories blending strong emotion with humor so we decided to find a place to talk about what we write. How best to share our philosophy of humor-filled angst? A blog. An online journal that permits stream of consciousness. Not only can we post our thoughts but we can ask readers what they think then we can have a conversation about it. We connect.

Connection is why I'm here. I want to connect with fellow writers and with readers. So why are you here? Is it to make a connection? Do you want to be entertained? Did you find the blog by accident and decide to stay? Comment and let me know what you think.
-Francesca

9 comments:

  1. Nice, Francesca-what a lovely memory about you and your mother connecting over a book. Books do bring us together, and we learn together and connect because of them. Glad you are part of our book connection.-debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. How right you are, Francesca. This is all about connecting. Your story of shared reading moments with your mom put such a smile on my face. I hope to share the same type of moments with my children.

    Sandy :-)
    Sandra Barkevich - Romance Author
    *August 25, 2007 at Sandra's Goings On - Guest Blogger, Betty Hanawa ~ More Than She Wished For

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading is a great way to make connections!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter is an avid reader.

    I'm an avid reader.

    Never have we read the same book at the same time.

    Your post has convinced me to change that; after all, I love the books she reads, especially Patricia McKillip and Anne McCaffrey stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post, Francesca. My daughter (she's 13) and I have found a special connection through writing. She writes about witches, wizards, angels and demons. We love to share our stories and compare ideas.

    Blogging is a way to connect with writers who don't live in the second bedroom on the right

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Francesca! It was my mom who got me hooked on romance, and it remains a connection to this day. We're still trading books. I've managed to get my daughter into Narnia and Harry Potter, and I really do hope she loves romances someday as well. You know, when she's old enough to be dating boys. Like, um, 30?:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments guys. My mom and I always discussed writing but it was reading together, first when I was really small but especially when we read Watership Down that helped forge the closeness. It was my mom who got ME hooked on Harry Potter. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful memory and something I think I'll steal with 8 year old daughter! Congratulations - you've blogged and connected! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved WD!!! Gosh, I had forgotten how much I loved that book. But you are correct that storytelling (or story reading) provides a connection. My daughter and I pass books back and forth. She lends me Meg Cabot YA and I lend her Julia Quinn regencies. She hasn't quite fallen in love with paranormals like moi as yet...but that's the younger one in my family.

    talia

    ReplyDelete

 
ja