Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Playing God on Paper

Oh the joy of building castles in a sandbox of your own making! One of the joys and headaches of writing paranormal is creating your own world. Yeah! My world! My rules! I am in complete control! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Wait, you want what? Logic? And consistency? But--but I want to play! You stomp your foot, cross your arms and threaten to take your sandbox home.

Calm down. Worldbuilding is fun but it's also hard work. Hey, you have to convince your reader that your world exists for 300 pages or so. And that doesn't mean you have to be dull. You can mix things up like having dragons paired with warrior accountants. Just don't throw them together without having logical reasons. Do dragons need accountants to keep track of their hordes? Or maybe they need to take some creative tax deductions?

Or maybe it's a clever way to launder money between magic and non-magic worlds. Hmm. See? Even humorous logic can work.

So let's try an exercise: what are some elements you would add to a world that paired dragons and accountants as allies in any of the above?

Elements can be physical (like weather or landscape) or societal, but how would you add dimension to this premise? I look forward to your comments but won't be checking in til night.
I've got a sudden urge to read the tax codes....

;)

talia

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tax codes, Talia? I know things are odd around our neck of the woods, but you must play in a seriously strange sandbox!-debi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a dragon-knight in my makebelieve world. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the dragon/accountant idea. It's original, I'll give you that. *G* And you can come play in my sandbox anytime -- but no cats allowed for obvious reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. taxes, accountants and dragons - what an absolute hoot! Too bad those fire-breathers can't burn up those tax codes...heehee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warrior accountants, huh? Hmm...well, as long as they wear ties but no shirts over their rippling chests, I'm cool with that:-) Great post, and I like the sandbox analogy. As in life, after the maniacal laughter ("It's mine! MIIIINE, I say!") subsides, it's a lot harder to make a castle that doesn't look like a crumbly lump o' sand than you'd think. Fortunately, in my imaginary sandbox, I have a cooler selection of buckets. And a contingent of yummy heroes to help build it all, of course! The rippling muscles are useful for more than just being eye candy, ya know:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say dragons ARE the accountants, seeing as they're so good with gold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you brought up the rules. All the best worlds have them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks ladies,

    I love taking ideas, characters, situations that have no apparent connection and then throw them together and see what happens.

    I think it's the "beef stew" method of plotting.

    But that's a post for another day.

    talia

    ReplyDelete

 
ja