Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My Paranormal Childhood

Since we're all paranormal photoblogging and making confessions, here's mine - I've loved the paranormal romance since before I could talk.
Like so many other little girls, I grew up on tales on knights in shining armor slaying dragons for their princesses. Yes, that's a paranormal romance.
In fact, the paranormal romance has been around for well over 300 years. Giambattista Basile is first credited with writing down the tale of Rapunzel, who is locked in a tower by a witch in 1634. The Grimm brothers changed a few details and created the more modern adapation we love today way back in 1812!


One of my most treasured books to this day is my Grimm Brother's Fairy Tales book. It's pages are worn and yellowed.

What little girl hasn't dreamed of being Sleeping Beauty? Falling asleep to wake to your very own Prince Charming kissing you senseless and living happily ever after? Um, yes, there's nothing ordinary about falling under a spell - it's a paranormal romance!

Search through all your childhood stories and you'll find paranormal tales of witches and dragons and magic. How about Snow White and the poisoned apple? How about Cinderella and her Fairy Godmother?
So when I sat down to write my own version of a romance, I knew deep in my heart that I would always stay true to my roots, no matte how hard I tried I could never fight the pull of the power of the paranormal. After all, doesn't every woman and little girl know that happily ever after is always magical (whether there is actual magic involved or not!)

And there you have it - my inspiration for writing paranormal romance comes from my childhood - from deep in my soul, where the little girl still lives and thrives, and knows that happy ever after is a state of mind and love is a state of the heart!






7 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved Sleep Beauty, but I think my favorite is Beauty and the Beast. Now THAT'S a paranormal romance.
    ~Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am frequently inspired by fairy tales when I write -- you definitely hit the nail on the head there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched The Brothers Grimm last night on cable with my kids. We had a blast trying to keep our eyes open for the 'inspirations' for their fairy tales. Ooo, ooo, here comes Little Red Riding Hood! Oh, that's the Gingerbread Man (which really creeped me out when he crawled out of the well). Hey, wait a minute . . . Sleeping Beauty is wearing Cinderella's glass slippers. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly...OOH! Pretty pictures!:-) Secondly, I think you'd find that a lot of us have an old copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales stashed in the bookcase. I know I do. And yes, I am pretty certain that those stories ruined me for writing anything but paranormal. I don't just want a happy ending. I want a MAGICAL happy ending, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my favorite is still Beauty and the Beast. Not as scary per se as some of the witch ones and taming through love.

    talia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fairy tales--all types. Lately, I've been reading Hispanic and Russian tales, but they're all good. Do you guys remember the really old fairy tale books that were named after colors like the Blue Book of Fairy Tales? I remember my grandmother had a set of those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wanted to be Rapunzel but my hair was the wrong color. Fairy tales spun and re-spun still have a certain magic.-debralee

    ReplyDelete

 
ja