Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I have a confession to make...

I'm not an avid reader of paranormal romance. Up until recently, I'd never read about vampires or werewolves or shapeshifters and the idea of dragons in a romance novel was absurd! Those things belonged in Harry Potter books (love them!), not mine.

Now, now, put the torches and stones down, and hear me out. My first love is contemporary, always has been and probably always will be. But one day, about ten years ago, I picked up A Knight in Shining Armour by Jude Deveraux. I didn't know at the time I was reading a paranormal romance, although nowadays it would be considered time travel. I loved this book and to this day, it's one of my favorites.

Not too long after that, my mother-in-law gave me a book by Barbara Michaels, Ammie, Come Home. It's not a romance, but a ghost story with some romantic elements. I loved it. Ever since then I've had a fascination with ghosts (who else watches Ghost Hunters every Wednesday night?)

Here's another confession. The first time I read a Nora Roberts book was..... last year. I can hear you dropping those torches and stones in shock, but it's true. My sister-in-law is a huge fan of The Nora and gave me three of her books, Key of Light, Key of Knowledge and Key of Valor. I was skeptical. A trilogy about Celtic gods? I read all three books over a weekend.

I never thought I could write paranormal. I mean, I do have an imagination, but how could I ever compare with these authors? But there is something liberating about making up weird stuff and no one can tell you you're wrong. Ya can't do that with a contemporary and you'll be burned at the stake if you try it with historical romance.

So, I've read and have written about ghosts, time travel, gods, witches, angels and magic. Huh, waddaya know. I guess I'm an avid fan after all.

~Maggie

5 comments:

  1. OK, I got ya beat. I'm STILL a Nora virgin. I've been reading romance for over 14 years and I've never read a single one of her books. Yet. I think there's one of hers in one of those to-be-read bags o books I talked about in yesterday's post that I plan to get around to someday. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  2. KISA was one of my first paranormal romances, too! I haven't read any of the others listed, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, sign me up for the Nora virgin express. LOL! It's just that there are soo many wonderful MIDLIST authors, I love discovering and supporting them.

    Maybe someday I'll get around to Nora and the NTT bestsellers list.
    ;)

    talia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Maggie! I think I'm going to have to go back and re-read A Knight in Shining Armor...it was one of my first, and I loved it back then (it ushered in my "time-travel romance junkie" period). Also, you just GOTTA read some more Nora! Personal fave is the Three Sisters Island trilogy, starting with Dance Upon the Air. New England witches. Love it! The Key and In the Garden trilogies are amazing too. I'm with you on making up weird stuff. I live for it. AND Ghost Hunters, of course...I want more new episodes now please! I'm in withdrawl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Kendra-that's an awesome trilogy-debralee

    ReplyDelete

 
ja