Ever think about this writing thing we authors spend our time doing? Ever wonder what others make of this craft? Here are thirteen thoughts to inspire you.
- One thing that helps is to give myself permission to write badly. I tell myself that I’m going to do my five or 10 pages no matter what, and that I can always tear them up the following morning if I want. I’ll have lost nothing—writing and tearing up five pages would leave me no further behind than if I took the day off.~ Lawrence Block
- There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. ~ Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- Writers live twice.~ Natalie Goldberg
- Write while the heat is in you. … The writer who postpones the recording of his thoughts uses an iron which has cooled to burn a hole with. ~ Henry David Thoreau
- Anyone who is going to be a writer knows enough at 15 to write several novels. ~ May Sarton
- Just write every day of your life. Read intensely. Then see what happens. Most of my friends who are put on that diet have very pleasant careers. ~ Ray Bradbury
- I think all writing is a disease. You can’t stop it. ~ William Carlos Williams
- We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. ~ Ernest Hemingway
- To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard. ~ Allen Ginsberg
- The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress. ~ Philip Roth
- Write. Rewrite. When not writing or rewriting, read. I know of no shortcuts. ~ Larry L. King
- When your story is ready for rewrite, cut it to the bone. Get rid of every ounce of excess fat. This is going to hurt; revising a story down to the bare essentials is always a little like murdering children, but it must be done. ~ Stephen King
- When I sit down to write a book, I do not say to myself, ‘I am going to produce a work of art.’ I write it because there is some lie that I want to expose, some fact to which I want to draw attention, and my initial concern is to get a hearing. ~ George Orwell
Do you write? Do you have a favorite quote about the process? Please share.